MarianC
MarianC, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
109551472

My mother died about a year ago, my father won't allow me to

Customer Question

HI,
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: my mother died about a year ago, my father won't allow me to see her will
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: London
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: none#
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Expert:  MarianC replied 7 days ago.

Good morning, I am sory to hear that you have lost your mother. This is a difficult situation, do you know why your father does not wish you to see the Will? Do you know if anything was left to you or if everything passed to your father? If the Will was prepared by a solicitor you could telephone them and ask if you are mentioned in the Will but generally if your father is the executor then the decision about this remains with him.

If your mother's estate needs a Grant of probate then you can search the probate records at

www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

if there is a Grant you can order a copy of the Will which takes two to three weeks.

Do you have any other information at all?

Marian

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks for the response.
I don't know why my father won't allow me to see the will. We don't have a relationship, because he is extremely controlling and manipulative. My guess is he is using the will as a form of leverage.
I have no idea as to the contents of the will, so I have no idea if anything was left to me.
Unfortunately, my father is a solicitor, it's almost guaranteed that he prepared the document and is also the executor.
Expert:  MarianC replied 7 days ago.

Oh I see that really is difficult. Have you tried a search to see if probate was obtained?

Expert:  MarianC replied 5 days ago.

Do you need any further assistance?