How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12286
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I want to find lawyer suit my neighbour slander my husband

Customer Question

I want to find lawyer suit my neighbour slander my husband and me. Before the lockdown, they called police that I hit my kid in home, then police came to my home saw my kid happy to play her computer. Then they called police again yesterday, they said my husband threaten their kids. That is never happened.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Manchester.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: What is that meaning?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to know can I suit my neighbor slander us, that already bother our life, make my ill worse. I got Bell’s palsy. Police came to our home yesterday, that made me angry, sad and shock. My daughter not stop asked me what’s happened.
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 5 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 5 days ago.

1. You can sue your neighbour for defamation of character and slander for any false allegation which causes you concrete harm. So here, your neighbour made the false allegation that you were harming your children, which caused you stress and anxiety in your life. So, you should see a solicitor and get the solicitor to write a Letter before Action to your neighbour calling upon them to desist from making these false and hurtful allegations to the police about your treatment of your children, or their children. Essentially by making your Bell's Palsy illness worse, your neighbour is causing you concrete harm which allows you to sue for defamation. So, get a solicitor to issue legal proceedings against them to prevent them repeating the false allegations and for the harm to date.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 5 days ago.

2. Be aware that the solicitor will want to be put in funds to mount the litigation. So, get a quote from the solicitor for how much it is likely to cost. Be aware that a barrister is normally hired to draft the legal proceedings as they can be quite technical. So factor this into the equation when working out the likely cost.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you for your reply. I want to pay the money suit them. If we didn’t do anything. Can you recommend any solicitor?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 5 days ago.

3. I cannot recommend a solicitor because I don't know where you are living, nor do I know the solicitors in your area. I would suggest you find a solicitor who specialises in Defamation Law, or Libel & Slander. However, you will get damages for a successful action. Money damages are payable for defamation of character as occurred to you here.