How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2334
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I am seeking help for a family member who has been attacked

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I am seeking help for a family member who has been attacked by his housemates dad in his flat. They were both taken to the police at in resulted in a minor act with no further action
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In Sheffield UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: He just wanted to leeve this all behind and move out. However she is now basically harassing him and making up stories about him that are horrible Calling people from his work and trying to find out when he is at work
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, just that thank yoy
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.
Can you,please supply more details so I may assist.

What exactly would your family member like to know?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
he just wants to br left alone after this incident but they keep calling diffent people that he comes in contact with including his work and they are trying to find out when he is working which is scary. My question is what kind of action can he take so that they would stoo harassing him
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Should he ring the police and ask for advice?
Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

Thank you for that additional information, that will be helpfull in allowing me to advise you today.
From the account you have given, this could certainly appear to be harassment and therefore illegal.

Yes, he should contact the police and report the matter as a case of harassment. Make sure he obtains a crime reference number. If the police are unable to act, he can then possibly look at a civil matter. He could issue the other person with a formal cease and desist letter, ordering them to stop what they are doing, otherwise a court injunction would be sought without further notification.

But the first thing to do is report the harassment to the police. He can either attend a local station in person or call 101.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
OK thank you for your help, I will let him know.
Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.