Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

How many hours a domestic worker should work per day and per

How many hours a domestic worker should work per day and per week? Can you help me?
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No. Never. I work for an Arab family and I think that 14 or 16 hours per day without day off is too much.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: No, I work full time in permanent basis with contract.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Hi there. Can I just check, do you get breaks during your working day and if so, how many do you get and how long are they for?

Hello, I was wondering if you have had a chance to consider my query above please? I will need your response before I provide an accurate answer to your situation. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No, when the family is here, we work direct and no day off at the weekends, during all the time the family is here until they return to Kuwait. Thank you.

Thank you very much for clarifying. This is a complex area of law and often there are differing opinions on what your legal entitlements actually are.

The basic rights for workers are that someone should have an 11-hour uninterrupted daily resat break in each 24 hour period, during which they are free of duties.

There is also a right to a 24-hour rest period every week, or alternatively a 48-hour rest period every 2 weeks.

The issue with live-in workers is what time amounts to ‘working time’ which is what these breaks are based on.

You may wish to have a look at this article which deals with live-in carers and these are pretty much the same as what you do (the difference is you do not ‘care’ for someone u you still live in at he employer’s premises)

https://www.liveincarejobs.co.uk/resources/live-in-carers-what-are-your-legal-rights-for-breaks

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

I hope that your query has been answered to your satisfaction. I just wanted to take this opportunity to remind you that if you needed any further clarification with this query, you should not hesitate to contact me and I will be happy to help. For now, thank you for using our services.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
It is a shame that England does not protect the Domestic Workers that keep their house running, feeding, cleaning, laundering, etc. We are still treated as slaves or second class worker but everyone needs us.
It is not your fault but someone needs to do something about this.
All working classes have their rights on papers, but not us.Very sad and disappointedwith this matter in England.Thank you Mr Ben Jones

I agree that the protections are not always the best, ***** ***** of these rules come from European laws, rather than UK laws. All the best