How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MarianC Your Own Question
MarianC, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 696
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
MarianC is online now

My father has died and left me the house in his will however

Customer Question

My father has died and left me the house in his will however there is a mortgage with the house .Can I remortgage directly or do I have to pay all the mortgage of and then mortgage it in my own name ?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Diss in Norfolk ,England.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The house is worth 450 k and the mortgage was 220k although I have paid 120 k of that mortgage so now it stands at around 100 k
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I just need to know my options.
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  MarianC replied 5 days ago.

Good morning, I am sorry to hear that you have lost your father. The lenders have different requirements so ultimately you will need to contact them to find out what they will accept. But basically you will need to apply for a mortgage in your own name to pay off your father's account and close that account. The Lender will expect to have their loan paid off before the property is transferred to you.

Kind regards


Expert:  MarianC replied 5 days ago.

Do you need any further assistance today?