MarianC
MarianC, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
109551472

My father has died and left me the house in his will however

Customer Question

My father has died and left me the house in his will however there is a mortgage with the house .Can I remortgage directly or do I have to pay all the mortgage of and then mortgage it in my own name ?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Diss in Norfolk ,England.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The house is worth 450 k and the mortgage was 220k although I have paid 120 k of that mortgage so now it stands at around 100 k
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I just need to know my options.
Expert:  MarianC replied 5 days ago.

Good morning, I am sorry to hear that you have lost your father. The lenders have different requirements so ultimately you will need to contact them to find out what they will accept. But basically you will need to apply for a mortgage in your own name to pay off your father's account and close that account. The Lender will expect to have their loan paid off before the property is transferred to you.

Marian

Expert:  MarianC replied 5 days ago.

Do you need any further assistance today?