Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I bought an aston martin and cancelled the contract after 6

Customer Question

i bought an aston martin and cancelled the contract after 6 days in line with consumer contract regulations 2013 which then states the dealer has 14 days to pick vehicle up. despite several attempts of askig dealer has not made arrangements to pick car up yet what happens if dealer does not pick car up within the 14 days specified
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: newcastle uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: sent cancellation of contract awaiting pick up of vehicl e
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats it thanks
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Has the dealer contacted you at all with regards ***** ***** the vehicle?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
no i have contacted him several times and only response i have had was about 6 days ago saying hi scott this is with solicitors and he will revert to me aspbut law states vehicle must be collected within 14 days
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

Under The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013, the seller has certain obligations in the event of a cancellation by the customer under the Regulations. You can find these obligations here:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/regulation/35/made

It specifically states:

“(1) Where a sales contract is cancelled under regulation 29(1), it is the trader’s responsibility to collect the goods if—

(a) the trader has offered to collect them, or

(b) in the case of an off-premises contract, the goods were delivered to the consumer’s home when the contract was entered into and could not, by their nature, normally be returned by post.”

There is nothing specific in the Regulations in terms of what happens if the goods are not collected as required and then you have a couple of options: you can just leave the car where it is and wait for the seller to collect it (I would expect that with the amount it will be worth, it is not an asset they will just forget about). Alternatively, you can make arrangements for its return, such as by driving it back (riskier in the event something happens on the way), or by getting a transport service in place and then charge the seller for these extra costs by adding them on to the refund amount.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 days ago.

I hope that your query has been answered to your satisfaction. I just wanted to take this opportunity to remind you that if you needed any further clarification with this query, you should not hesitate to contact me and I will be happy to help. For now, thank you for using our services.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
thank you ben greatly appreciatedgiven the car value is £80k i doubt they will forget also.thanks again.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 days ago.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this then please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be glad to help. All the best