james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I am unable to reclaim £80 worth of goods from a company I

Customer Question

Hi there, I am unable to reclaim £80 worth of goods from a company I bought from online. I returned the goods along with telling the company they were being returned and I request a refund as the items were not the same as online, and they refused t even give me a return address. After 18 emails, which I have saved, they finally gave me the return address (all still within the weeks timeline), to which I sent the package along with taking a photo of the address on package and having a tracking service on the package. The package then arrived and was not collected by the company according to the Royal Mail site, and they are refusing to give a refund despite all the evidence against them. How can I get this money back and make a formal complaint towards the company?
JA: Where is this? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: The company was called Remi Wigs, and the purchase was made on the 15th of August, but didn't arrive until the 6th of September. I returned and mailed the parcels by the 25th of September after an 18 email long battle with the company to provide a return address, which was is in China
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have taken every step I can think of, including paying for extra protection and tracking when sending the items, along with trying to get int ouch with the company multiple times, which is met with the refusal of refund until the package arrives. However I can see the package has arrived and they did not accept it as I paid for tracking on royal mail
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That I want to make a formal complaint towards the company as well as getting back the money
Expert:  james bruce replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.
Did you order the items directly from the company in China?
How did you pay for the items?

Expert:  james bruce replied 9 days ago.

Unfortunately, without the additional information requested in my first/previous response, I will not be able to give you detailed advice to your question, but I will be able to give you a general answer, which I hope will be of assistance. If you are able to supply the additional information later, please do so and I will then come back to you with a more detailed answer.

If you paid for the items using a debit card, then I would advice that you contact your bank and ask to make a chargeback to you debit card account. The bank will hopefully deal with the matter for you by putting the amount into dispute and then refund if not challenged.

If you paid by bank transfer, then the bank are unlikely to get involved.

If the company is located in the UK, you could then send them a letter requesting a refund for the wrong item which you returned to them. If they fail to reply, you can then send a letter before action. I have attached a template letter below. Should that fail, then you final option would be a claim at court against them

Hello, I am just following up on your enquiry to see if I can assist further. Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.