12826847

I have a question regarding personal situation, London,

Customer Question

Hello, I have a question regarding personal situation
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is it correct that this is initially free legal advice? I just have some questions at the moment
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
One of my flatmates got covid symptoms on 1st Oct, and they got tested on 6th Oct. Although they should have stayed at home, they have been out and about when they had symptoms and even after they took the test and before the results came out. Due to our house's negligence, we did not cancel our cleaner appointment on 10th Oct and so our cleaner came and cleaned the apartment. However, on the evening of the 10th after the cleaner was finished and left, my flatmate received a confirmation from NHS that they were tested positive. We realised our mistakes and immediately informed the cleaner and gave her phone number to the NHS as well so she could be contacted. Unfortunately the cleaner is in a lot of personal stress because of this situation, and sent us a text message today (we believe with help from a legal adviser) asking for a payment of £3,000. We really feel sorry for her and want to help her where we can, but we feel like this is not the right way to do this. We also don't feel comfortable transferring an amount of this magnitude without any legal grounds or agreements. We are looking for some advice on what the best way is to deal with her request.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 days ago.

So this person is demanding £3000 in exchange for not reporting this?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Jo, thanks for your quick response. They are demanding the money for not reporting that we had someone with symptoms at home and currently awaiting results, and that we did not cancel it. They have said that the amount is to cover for the financial loss they are incurring (as they have to isolate for 14 days) and the personal stress that we gave them and their family.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 days ago.

Thanksfor the information

Tell her that if she doesn't back off you willreport her to the police for blackmail. This is blackmail. It might very wellbe inadvertent but she is demanding money with menaces.

You will find the offence here.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60/section/21

You won't hear from her again

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a waythat is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will bemore than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once againfor using our services.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Jo, thank you so much, this is very useful information. I will follow your advice, and hopefully you won't hear from me again on this case. Thank you so much and have a lovely day!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 days ago.

No problem.

All the best.

Remember that I am always available tohelp with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usuallypick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start yourquestion with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/