Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location. I

Customer Question

Hello Madame my name is*****: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in north London but I will move to Kingston
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: my question is I am trying to rent a flat at Kingston and the agency ask me to pay 6 months upfront
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Because I felt the reference
Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a practicing solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I want to know if I have to make the transfer of the 6 months advance without sign the draft contact?
Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

Hi there,

Agency /Landlord can ask for advance rent payments if the tenant fails credit affordability criteria and they feel that tenant would not be able to afford rent due to his/her finances.

You can offer a personal guarantor for your tenancy , for securing the tenancy agreement , if you do not wish to pay 6 months upfront.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok can trust the agency to pay 6 months advance
How can I secure my self
Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

Only make the payment once you are sure about the tenancy , make bank transfer , and ask for receipt confirming the payment, and get it mentioned in the tenancy agreement as well.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you sir
Sorry I can’t afford the £44 now but will in future
Can I ask other question please
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
with the copy of the draft contact I go to the bank and make a bank transfer from my account to the agency account and keep the receipt with me? It’s that correct
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
How can I be sure about the tenancy?
Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

Agent will give you confirmation receipt , acknowledging the payment .

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sorry I didn’t understand
How the agent give me the receipt of acknowledgment and he need me to do transfer to their account and after the agent see the transfer on their account he will give receipt, is this the way in UK we pay and after 24 h we get the receipt?
Please advise thanks
Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

Once you make this payment , ask the letting agency for confirming getting that payment in their accounts.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

If it is a bank transfer from your end , it would be suffice proof , agency can not say they did not get that money.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
if a make the payment the troughs the bank agency can’t denied the acknowledgment?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks I go it
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Vineet S Solicitor
Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Thank you and all the best.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you very much for your help
Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

My pleasure, thanks again.