How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 78647
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Can i ask a criminal law question pleae? Yes. 13th November,

Customer Question

Hi, can i ask a criminal law question pleae?
JA: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: Yes. 13th November
JA: Where did this occur?
Customer: In the UK
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

wht is your question please

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Jo. I'm just wondering can charges brought by the CPS be dropped before court if pursuing the case is having a negative impact on the alleged victim?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 days ago.

Thanksfor the information

The short answer is that it depends. Probablynot though.

They will have already reviewed this for thereto be a charge and there wouldn't be a subsequent review before going to court

lots of things May trigger a review but none ofthem arise here.

One of the things that would be consideredduring a review is the impact upon the complainant although not usually incertain circumstances. One of which is domestics as frankly the police havereally had enough of women wasting their time by making allegations and thenseeking to withdraw them .

The argument that they rely upon is that it isnot in the public interest drop these things as these women may be pressurisedwhen, in fact, that is a very idealistic view. Usually they are just using thepolice as a mediation service .

If you give me more information upon yoursituation I may be able to offer more

Can I clarify anything for you?

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a waythat is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will bemore than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once againfor using our services.


Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Sorry, i know that was a very vague question i asked. I'll keep it as short as possible. Self Harming teenager with social services involved through the school and a plan in place with family(very bad relationship in family with parents living seperate lives in the same house)> Allegation made in school that a man had been burning the 15 year old child with cigarettes. Police and social workers went to school and house and care plan put in place to pursue investigation but child telling no one anything. Social workers say child has not to leave the house over the weekend until they talk to her again the following week. Father is home alone with the 2 children on the Saturday and tries to talk to the daughter and asks who has been hurting her. She tries to storm out of house and he stops her and an argument ensues while she is on facetime to a friend. Friends grandmother calls police and the father is arrested. He has not returned to the family home since that happened in February and has been charged with assaulting and injurously imprisoning his daughter. All of the allegations have been embellished ny the daughter who is at present being assessed to see if she has bipolar disorder and last night she moved from cutting her arms to cutting her neck as she feels so guilty regarding the charges and what she has done, but can't see any way out of the lies she has told. She just wants all this to be over. But it will go on for quite some time yet. In magistrates court on November 13th and possibly on to Crown court from there. That's why i was wondering if solicitor could do anyting to try get CPS to drop the charges. The solicitor is pushing for the father to go to crown court and get the case thrown out if daughter doesn't turn up in court, but the father just wants to plead guilty and hope it all ends there in magistrates court with a fine and/or community sevice for the childs sake.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 days ago.


They are very unlikely to drop that.

They will pursue it because of the nature of the allegations she has made.

I am sorry but you have to be realistic.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 days ago.

His solicitor can make representations to the Crown which he might as well do but there is no realistic chance.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok. Thank you for that.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 days ago.

No problem.

All the best.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a waythat is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will bemore than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once againfor using our services.

Remember that I am always available tohelp with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usuallypick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start yourquestion with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile

Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 days ago.

Just like with an appointment in real life, or a job interview, a follow up is good practice: "Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!” Or if the customer is already satisfied: “I am glad I was able to help. Have a great day.