F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

Can I be stopped from seeing my drying sister, I am in

Customer Question

can I be stopped from seeing my drying sister
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in northants and my sister is in lincolnshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have asked her husband if I can see her but no I have spoken to my sister and I think she would be happy to see me but is concerned about her husbands action
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: do I have any legal rights to see her
Expert:  F E Smith replied 7 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

I will be happy to assist with your question today. I need some time to consider this and compose a response. There is NO need to wait online because you will get an email when I respond. Sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes longer.

I apologise for any unavoidable delay, but rest assured I have not forgotten your question.

where is she - at home or hospital?

and whats the issue with her husband?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I do not know yesterday she was at home I have always had a good relationship with husband we visited 8 weeks ago and everything was ok he does have a very aggressive behavior about everything my husband have always gone out of our way not to disagree with him and always made him welcome at our house where he has appeared to enjoyed himself
Expert:  F E Smith replied 7 days ago.

I don’t know what you mean when you talk about your “drying sister”. I don’t whether it’s a typo or your referring to her drying out after alcohol binge.

Your sister is entitled to see whoever she likes and have whatever guests she likes in the house .

If he is stopping you seeing her, this is controlling coercive behaviour/abuse of a vulnerable adult and although you can report it to the police (do it at the local nick not on the telephone because you will get fobbed off on the telephone) don’t expect the police to be interested.

It is certainly something that you should refer to social services who may or may not be interested either.

Ultimately, if he simply refuses and you can’t get anybody else involved then it’s an application to the court to compel him to let you see your sister.

Incidentally it’s worthwhile raising the issue with her GP so that it’s on the record. The GP won’t do anything but it’s as to make sure that you raise the concerns far and wide.

You may find that a strongly worded letter from a solicitor threatening a court application and an application for costs, may focus the mind without actually the need to get to court.

Check your house insurance to see if you have legal expenses cover that would pay for the legal cost of taking this to court. Unlikely, but do check.

I am glad to help.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand.

I would be more than happy to clarify anything else for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please be aware that my answer is based strictly upon the information you have given me.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will be happy to reply because the thread does not close. In fact, it remains open indefinitely.

I am always happy to answer any further questions you have on any new thread in which case, please start your question with, “ For FES only”.

You don’t need to do it on this thread, just a new thread. You have me exclusively on this one.

Best wishes.

FES