Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

In September we have moved into a student house, before we

Customer Question

Hello, in September we have moved into a student house, before we moved in we have noticed mould on the walls and have notified the landlord and asked him to fix this which he said he will do. Also the gutter is broken which causes the leakage onto the house and causes the mould to grow, and the landlord has been aware of that and failed to fix this. Since we moved in we have repeatedly notified him of the mould issues and the leakage problem, but he kept saying that something will be done and it hasn’t. I have looked it up and mould is an emergency and there are services which will fix it immediately m, yet he failed to do that. Recently I have discovered my wardrobe was mouldy and I moved it to inspect the wall and have noticed it’s all covered in black mould, I notified the landlord and sent him pictures yet his response was very vague. I have paid rent for the house however I am now unable to stay in the room im renting due to health hazard and I am also displaying all the symptoms of mould poisoning. The landlord is delaying any help. What can we do in this situation?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Cardiff
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We have repeatedly notified him and tried to contact the letting agency but they have said they take no responsibility over landlords actions
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the landlord has a few times failed to comply with the contract as he also refused to fix the hob, which can be a health hazard as if let’s off gas
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 8 days ago.

Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please can you confirm whether the agreement is an assured shorthold tenancy agreement?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It is
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 7 days ago.

Thanks for the further information.

The Landlord and Tenants Act imposes a repairing obligation on the landlord and I also suspect your tenancy agreement imposes the same on the landlord too. Further the law states the Landlord must ensure the property is habitable. Therefore it appears the landlord has failed to meet his repairing obligation. You can contact the local council regarding this issue and they can step in to resolve the matter.

Turning to the injury caused by the defective premises, the Defective Premises Act holds the landlord liable for injury caused to its tenant as a result of a defect in the premises. Therefore it appears you may have a potential claim against the landlord.

In view of this I suggest you consider contacting solicitors who specialise in this area of law as they can review your claim with a view of securing compensation for the losses suffered.

You can try the solicitors below because I believe they have a team that conducts this type of work.

Stephens solicitors- stephensons.co.uk

I hope I have clarified the position, if not please let me know.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
This is really helpful, thank you

Your welcome and have a good night.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you, ***** *****

😊

Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 5 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything as I am happy to help!”