Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I own a static caravan in Banks West Lancs on which I pay

Customer Question

I own a static caravan in Banks West Lancs on which I pay site fees. The company to whom I pay the site fees gave a written undertaking in July that they would not increase the site fees for the new financial year which starts on 1 Dec 2020 which was before the Chancellor announced the extension of the reduced VAT rate of 5% for the hospitality and holiday accommodation sectors. I have now received the invoice for the site fees due on 1 Dec and although the VAT rate is correctly shown and charged at 5%, the company has increased the net amount on which the site fees are payable by 15%. This means that they are attempting to increase their income by 15% and the intended benefit to the customer of the reduced VAT rate of 5% is not being passed onto me. I have attempted to get the company to change this method of invoicing and they have refused. What can I do?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Banks, West Lancashire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have spoken to the company and subsequently emailed
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's all for now
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 11 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, I appreciate this is important to you and therefore shall attempt to provide a clear answer. Please note this is not a chat service therefore the response may not be instantaneous. In terms of the legal query, if the caravan park has increased the site fees by 15% despite stating they would not then you can refuse to pay the increase based on the agreement provided you have this in writing. Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.