james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

My landlord change the contract after when we signed 2 weeks

Customer Question

hey
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: my landlord change the contract after when we signed 2 weeks ago without leeting us now. now we are obligate to sign
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: brentford
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: landlord
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
hey. i have problem with the agancy and teh landlord. two weeks ago i signed the contract landlord also without any comments. we paid teh money. and after two weeks the agency sent to us new contract with new clauses on. we are not agree with this. we signed the contract two weeks ago. nobody talk with uss about the changes
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i spoke with the agency but they just feel sorry and unfurtunytly we need to sign new contract
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i dont feel i need to sign because i arledy signed contract 2 weeks ago
and landlord also
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
when we recived the money £3k
he change the clauses.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
this is unfair and unprofessional
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
do i have to sign the new contract? there is a legal obligation?
Expert:  james bruce replied 14 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry. Had both you and the landlord signed the agreement? or had only you signed it before the landlord made the changes.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
we all signed the contract 2 weeks ago
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Unfortunately I can’t agree to these additional revised terms. We have already signed the original contract based on the terms and conditions we discussed and agreed. The contract was agreed and executed by both parties therefore is legally binding.

Have you moved in?

What was the change to the contract?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
no i havent
i will move in 2 weeks
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
1. As per Ealing Council conditions for granting Planning Permission, none of the occupiers of the residential flats may apply to the council for a resident’s car parking permit.
2. Except for service or guide dogs for persons with disabilities, no pets are allowed (even temporarily) anywhere in the flat without prior written authorization from landlord. Care and feeding of stray or unauthorized pets is prohibited within the rented property. If a pet has been in the residence at any time during the Lessee’s term of occupancy, Lessee shall be charged for damages, de-fleeing, deodorizing, and/or carpet shampooing to protect future residents from possible health hazards. Any Lessee or Occupant found to be in possession of any prohibited pet(s) may be charged a fee, in addition to a charge equal to any cleaning and sanitation fees incurred by the landlord.
3. The Tenant agrees neither to smoke in or on the premises nor to allow their invited guests to do so. In breach of this clause to be responsible for the reasonable costs of rectification of any damage caused or for any appropriate cleaning, fumigation etc. required. This includes electronic cigarettes and vaping.
4. The Tenant shall not assign, underlet, part with the possession of or transfer the Premises or any part thereof or any interest therein or permit or suffer any arrangement or transaction whereby any person who is not a party to this Lease obtains the use, possession, occupation or enjoyment of the Premises or any part thereof irrespective of whether any rental or other consideration is given therefor. The lease created hereby shall be personal to the Tenant named in this Lease.
5. Where applicable, the tenant shall be responsible for the basic maintenance of the garden piece assigned – keeping on top of weeding and mowing the lawn.
6. Day to day cleaning of common areas of the residence (front patio, bins compartment, external steps, main entrance and staircase with landing) is the shared responsibility between the tenants currently occupying the residence.
No smoking inside the building(s)
No pets
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
my sister has a dog so its means she is not allowed to visit us
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i agrred with no pets
but not for visitors with the pets
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
like i said we all signed the contract 2 weeks ago
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
the landlord
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
when we revived money he makes changs

So the issues is the fact you would need to obtain landlords permission for the pet?

What did the contract say before?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
no teh issues is
he is allowd to change the contract after two weeks when everyone signed including him, when he recived the money?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
we are not living there yet
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
he hasnt descused about this with us he just changed and sent to us with the order to sign
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
10.12.You must not keep any pet or any kind of animal at the Property without the Landlord's or Agent's writtenconsent, which will not be unreasonably withheld or delayed.

Sorry but I cannot see what the issue really is here. The old clause does not allow you to have any pet of any kind without the landlords permission. The wording here ANY PET would include your sister if visiting.

The new clause is basically the same but if anything actually makes it clearer, but also allows service dogs without the need to ask the landlord. So as far as the change is concerned, there really is no difference.

However, as both parties have signed the old agreement that is legally binding on all concerned. That does however, still mean your sisters dog is not allowed in without permission.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have to sign the new contract?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
looks like a signed the same same clauses on the first one so whay i have to sign one more time? he can force me to sign?

My advice would be to sign, as the change in wording actually makes no difference to your sister visiting with a dog.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
why?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
maybe next month he will add something more?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
then what? i need to agree as well?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
my firs contract has legal power?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
if there is nothing changed why we have new contract? why he didnt speak with us? this is legal? tehy can do everything?

They cannot make you sign, but as it makes no difference at all, what is the problem in signing. It changes nothing between the to clauses.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
why they put this changes? why they want us to sign when this is the same
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i just dont understand really. he can change is mind everyday and what then ?

You would have to ask them why. I cannot speak for them, I can only advice, which I have done.

Again, the wording changes nothing so no reason why you should not just sign the new wording.

There really is nothing difficult with that.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
we need to clean the common area but one of the flat he will renting as a AIRBNB
its meant i will clean after his business

Sorry, I don't see what this has to do with the word change in the contract?