james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

We have a cleaning company. We had a client who was on a

Customer Question

We have a cleaning company. We had a client who was on a rolling monthly contract and it states cleaning for one hour per day 6 days per week and the price. They cancelled us cleaning with no notice of 30 days as required because we did not empty a sanitary bin which we are not licensed to do and did never agree to. As they cancelled with no notice we put a bill in for the month already worked and the month ahead. They came back to us saying that they had now gone back through the cctv and seen that we where not always there for 1 hour so are bow refusing to pay anything and are saying we owe them money for unused hours. The building was kept clean for them and never complained until their sanitary bin started over flowing so got a new company who also provide this service. Are we in the right to keep pursuing this?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Cambridgeshire UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We have just communicated via email
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  james bruce replied 11 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

If the contract stated they must give one months notice, then yes you would have a case against them for any money they owe for work already carried out, and for the months notice they failed to give.

However, if they have gone through past records and cctv and have documentary evidence that your company are paid to provide services for 1 hour a day six days week, then that is the contracted time you should remain on site. It makes no difference how clean you feel the property is. If invoice is sent for 6 hours a week and only 4 0r 5 hours was actually spent on site, then your company has over billed and the customer can seek to address those bills against your company. Sorry to say, but if they really wanted to push the matter, it could be considered false accounting and fraud.

I would suggest trying to reach a compromise on the matter between what they owe you and the hours they can prove your company was not on site.

Hello, I am just following up on your enquiry to see if I can assist further. Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.