How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1446
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

I need a bit of advice. I wish to leave the house I won with

Customer Question

Hi. I need a bit of advice. I wish to leave the house I won with my husband. We both own the house. He has another small house he owns and rents out. I want to know if I leave our home, will I have no rights to the house? Would I be able to move into the house he rents/owns as I have no where to live if I leave? We cannot have children and my husband cannot accept this. Failed IVF multiple times and our marriage has broken as a result of his non-acceptance. Any advice on where I stand legally and what my options are would be really appreciated.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Milton Keynes - Buckinghamshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have not started anything in motion yet. This has been going on for a few years and I cannot stay in this situation any longer
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just my legal rights to our home and if moving into the rented house and he keep our home is an option?
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Vineet S replied 9 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a practicing solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok. So if I leave the home I own can I pursue 50% of my share or...can I make an offer if he keeps our home and I have the two bedroom house he owns solely
Expert:  Vineet S replied 9 days ago.

Hi there,

As the house is jointly owned by you and your husband , you will have claim over your share of the house. At the time of divorce , all matrimonial assets, money and property you or your ex acquired during your marriage, taken into account.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Vineet S replied 9 days ago.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Thank you and all the best.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I shall file for divorce first then and find a local solicitor to do this
Expert:  Vineet S replied 9 days ago.

You can make financial settlement with your husband regarding all your matrimonial assets, with the help of a solicitor.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 9 days ago.

You can find a solicitor by using the law society find a solicitor link here: you will be able to search by area to find one nearer to you.

Many thanks