How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1893
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

I'm a driving instructor had a letter from dvsa about a

Customer Question

I'm a driving instructor had a letter from dvsa about a misconduct allegation and to go to a meeting with them on Wednesday. They've told me i can take a solicitor with me and wondered if you could point me in the right direction
JA: Was the termination discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Not been to the meeting its Wednesday coming
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: No I'm selfemployed
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No not at present
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 8 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. My name is***** and I am very sorry to hear about your situation. I hope that my answer can help you today. Can I confirm does the letter set out exactly what they believe happened?
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 5 days ago.

Hi, thank you for your message. Welcome, my name is***** am very sorry you are experiencing this and I hope I can help you today. Without the information I asked for, I can only give you a general answer, but I hope this helps. You will need to ensure that your employer is following their grievance procedure. You can also follow the ACAS code of Practice on Disciplinary and Grievance Procedures here: The emphasis of this Code is to try to resolve grievances informally, without reverting to a formal procedure, or to resolve them with the help of a third party (mediator). If an informal grievance is not possible you can start a formal grievance. This should be done in writing and should set out the nature of the grievance. Your employer should invite you to a meeting following the grievance. I would recommend that you bring a companion to the meeting. If you’re in a trade union, they might be able to negotiate with your employer for you. If you’re not in a union, find out if there’s one at your workplace that you can join. You might find details in your staff handbook, intranet or on notice boards at work. You should bring a colleague you trust or a trade union representative. For more information on who you can bring to the hearing please visit:

If your grievance doesn’t get the result you want, you can take your employer to a tribunal. You'll have to notify
The Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS) first. Acas is an organisation that provides independent support to help sort out employment disputes. They'll see if your employer will agree to a process called ‘early conciliation' - a way to resolve disputes without going to a tribunal.

You can also contact ACAS. The ACAS Helpline can give advice on internal processes and policies to help you through this (0300(###) ###-####. You can find out more about ACAS here:

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best in dealing with this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have further questions regarding this matter. Best wishes.

Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 5 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!