12826847

I had an online dart charge account which apprently they

Customer Question

Hi, I had an online dart charge account which apprently they closed due to inactivity. So I received 2 PCNs for 2 crossings and I didn't understand what happened. They said they closed the account and notified me which I can't see. I told them I will pay on the them and ask for the other one to be written off since I acted in good faith, they rejected it so I am not appealing to the traffic tribunal. Is there a right way to do this?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have appealed to the dart charge and received a rejection
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

Are you asking if you should appeal?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi I am Alice. Yes, I want to appeal, how is it fair they just closed my account and then are charging me for crossing twice? First of all how would I know they did until I crossed first time, which is why I even agreed to pay. Charging me twice is a rip off.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No, it's not such a complicated matter, let me know if you can assist in writing
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

Thanksfor the information

It is difficult to say why they closed youraccount. Obviously I will not know that but they do do that sometimes.

If they notified you and you still crossedwithout paying then you do not have a challenge to the thought and although itis unfortunately one of lifes unfairness is.

If you are saying that they did not notify youthen you could argue that although Rd traffic generally is a strict liability. Althoughit is unfair, all they need to show is that your account was closed. The onlyexception that I could think of is to argue something akin to special reasonswhere it was closed in error and without your knowledge and without there beingany way that you could know. Special reasons does not apply strictly to theparking fine regime but you could argue that it is a broad defence applying toall Rd traffic

The adjudicator would have to justify why it does not apply.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a waythat is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will bemore than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once againfor using our services.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!”