31090051

I have a tenant in Scotland who is refusing to pay rent.

Customer Question

I have a tenant in Scotland who is refusing to pay rent. They are receiving full housing benefit. How much notice to quit should I give
JA: Has your tenant talked to a lawyer about this? What country does your tenant live in? If different, what country does this legal question relate to?
Customer: Scotland United Kingdom: no lawyer contacted
JA: What steps has your tenant taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you
Expert:  JGM replied 6 days ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

Expert:  JGM replied 6 days ago.

The notice period for a tenant with rent arrears is currently 6 months under the Covid-19 amendment provisions made by the Scottish Government. I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything. I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question if it will help you further.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Does this period remain the same for unpaid rent. The tenant has received the benefit from dwp but refuses to pay
Expert:  JGM replied 6 days ago.

Yes, unpaid rent is rent arrears.I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything. I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question if it will help you further.