F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

Am I allowed to put a camera in my 12 yr olds bedroom? Yes,

Customer Question

Am I allowed to put a camera in my 12 yr olds bedroom? Yes
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: CountybDurham UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Child is autistic and suffers from depression. He often expresses a wish to end his life
Expert:  F E Smith replied 11 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

I will be happy to assist with your question today. I need some time to consider this and compose a response. There is NO need to wait on line because you will get an email when I respond. Sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes longer.

I apologise for any unavoidable delay, but rest assured I have not forgotten your question.

are you wishing to do this without his knowledge?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No. He will be informed.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 11 days ago.

Contrary to common belief there is no right to privacy per se even under the human rights legislation.

The actual human rights act is the right to a private life without government intervention.

However it doesn’t apply in respect of any actions to prevent a crime or protect health or safety and suchlike.

Therefore, I can see absolutely no reason that you shouldn’t do this because to be frank, it’s no different than having a baby alarm except that the “baby” is not a baby.

Do remember that I can only give you my opinion.

Please note that my answer is based strictly on the information that you have given me. If you have not given me all the information, then my answer may be incomplete or wrong.

Another lawyer may have a different opinion. Litigation needs at least 2 parties and neither goes to court expecting to lose.

Nonetheless, one of them does, even though they have been told by their respective legal advisers that they have a good chance of success.

If there was a black-and-white answer to every legal problem there would be no need for anything to ever proceed to court.

I am glad to help.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand.

I would be more than happy to clarify anything else for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please be aware that my answer is based strictly upon the information you have given me.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will be happy to reply because the thread does not close. In fact, it remains open indefinitely.

I am always happy to answer any further questions you have on any new thread in which case, please start your question with, “ For FES only”.

You don’t need to do it on this thread, just a new thread. You have me exclusively on this one.

Best wishes.

FES