SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I was goven a grant under the Self Employment Income Support

Customer Question

I was goven a grant under the Self Employment Income Support Scheme I am trying to establish if I was engitled to the payment and if I should report overpayment The deadline is next week to avpid penalties
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have asked another person on here but was not convinced by their answer. I habe tead the latesg guidamce by HMRV bit still unvlear
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
More information: I had to change my UK accommodation, lost a big project, clients reported reduction in demand. Indirect factors including colleagues and third parties reporting reductions in work and rates.After the initial April-May period, which included 2-3 weeks with no work, things picked up again but according to ehat HMRC said I tjought I was eligible. HMRC sent me a notification that I was eligible to apply.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have found additional guidance and it appears I was right to make the claim
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 6 days ago.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Find new solicitor (UK)
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I was given a grant under the Self Employment Income Support Scheme I am trying to establish if I was entitled to the payment and if I should report overpayment The deadline is next week to avoid penalties. I had to change my UK accommodation, lost a big project, clients reported reduction in demand. Indirect factors including colleagues and third parties reporting reductions in work and rates.After the initial April-May period, which included 2-3 weeks with no/little work, things picked up again but according to what HMRC said I thought I was eligible. I think it would be very unfair for HMRC to demand the money back. I have not applied for subsequent support under the scheme.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 4 days ago.

Good evening, thank you for contacting Justanswer again, I note you say you going guidance before. I am a solicitor in England in Wales. The criteria for the second payment is that you were paid the first payment; you plan ot continue with self-employment in 2021 and you anticipate to be adversely affected by covid-19 pandemic. It is largely based on what you estimate and if your business happens to withstand the pandemic and actually does better than originally anticipate you do not have to pay back what you got. If I can clarify further please do not hesitate to send your follow up question, I am more than happy to guide you further. All the best.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
My query relates to the first payment, not the second. I have not applied for the second payment.
I applied for the payment in May 2020, on the back of the impact on my revenue and costs in April 2020, as described in my previous message.
After reviewing the information from other sources I think I was entitle dto the first payment and I do not expect HMRC to ask me to repay otr to fine me

Good morning. Well they will not ask you for repayment if you honestly thought you were adversely affected by covid at the time of applying and if it happens that you did better that you had hoped then you do not get penalised for it. You may have done better than the previous tax year but not as well for what you had projected for 2019/2020 so really if investigated how you respond is what will make the difference to their decision.

Good morning. Well they should not ask you for repayment if you honestly thought you were adversely affected by covid at the time of applying and if it happens that you did better that you had hoped then you do not get penalised for it. You may have done better than the previous tax year but not as well for what you had projected for 2019/2020 so really if investigated how you respond is what will make the difference to their decision.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I did honestly think I was - I have outluned the reasons why.

So you should not have to worry then. If they do contact you HMRC will be specific and they will tell you why they suspect your were not honest or you were deceptive and you can then respond. Until then I do not think you should be stressing.