Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

Advice on SDLT liability where my partner and I have sold

Customer Question

Advice on SDLT liability where my partner and I have sold our family home, and we are in the process of buying a new main home, but I own another property.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Not yet: we are at an early stage.
JA: Where is the home located?
Customer: The home we are buying or my second property?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I didn't answer you last question as I wasn't sure what you meant.
JA: I apologize.
Customer: We want to buy a property in Dorset, we have sold ( completion shortly) our house in Kent. I own a small flat in Hampshire.
Expert:  Vineet S replied 9 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a practicing solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Please advise me on whether we will be liable for higher level sdlt if we are buying a new main property, having sold our existing main property, even though I own a flat.
Expert:  Vineet S replied 9 days ago.

Hi there,

There is stamp duty holiday till March end 2021, However, buyers of additional residential properties, such as second homes and buy-to-let properties, will have to pay an extra 3% in Stamp Duty on top of current rates for each band.

Couples count as a single person for stamp duty

This means that even if the home that a couple lives in is only in one person's name, the other partner will still have to pay the additional 3 per cent stamp duty that's due on any investment properties.

Thus, unfortunately you would be liable for 3% surcharge on the stamp duty for your next house purchase.