F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I own my own house and car park space can neighbors do

Customer Question

Hi I own my own house and car park space can neighbors do anything about me parking a caravan in my own space?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: It’s a terraced house in shepshed
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

I will be happy to assist with your question today. I need some time to consider this and compose a response. There is NO need to wait online because you will get an email when I respond. Sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes longer.

I apologise for any unavoidable delay, but rest assured I have not forgotten your question.

can you give me more background -

have they told you you cant?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
One neighbour is complaining it’s a communal car part but the caravan is in my space
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
How much does it cost to call
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 days ago.

A telephone call costs GBP43 I understand. I don’t deal with money, I only answer questions. Whilst that may seem expensive, we can cover an awful lot of ground in 15-30 minutes on the telephone and it’s actually very good value considering high street solicitors will charge up to GBP250 per hour.

It’s optional extra you can accept it or reject it or request it yourself.

Meanwhile I will answer on here and if you want to speak, or you need to do is accept the premium services proposal

The answer to your question is, “it depends”.

It really depends on what it says in your title deeds and whether there is a restriction preventing this. If you own the space rather than have the right to use it, it is unlikely that there would be a restriction but sometimes even older properties have a restriction that you cannot keep a “house on wheels” somewhere.

So you need to look at the title deed.

You can get the title deed and the plan quickly and easily by using this link:

https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/www/wps/portal/!ut/p/b1/04_SjzS0tDQwMTIxMjLXj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0c6McFQH3SLFU/

and you will have to pay 3 pounds for the title deed and 3 pounds for the plan.

You will then have them in minutes if not seconds.

It should show the parking space and the property although sometimes parking spaces are registered separately.

If there is a restriction, and all the properties in the area have the same restrictions, then it is an estate covenant and it is enforceable by all the house owners against all the other house owners.

However anyone wishing to enforce such covenant must have “clean hands”.

I will explain.

Let’s say there is a covenant that you can’t keep a caravan. The property must remain open plan and there must be no hedges or fences. You cannot keep pigeons or have an aviary. You cannot put a sky dish.

So all these restrictions are against all the properties in the area.

This neighbour takes exception to you having something which you shouldn’t have such as parking caravan so he decides to take you to court to stop it. He must have “clean hands”.

So if he has pigeons or a sky dish or hedges or offence, he cannot breach whatever he feels like but still try to enforce something else against another owner.

I am glad to help.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand.

I would be more than happy to clarify anything else for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please be aware that my answer is based strictly upon the information you have given me.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will be happy to reply because the thread does not close. In fact, it remains open indefinitely.

I am always happy to answer any further questions you have on any new thread in which case, please start your question with, “ For FES only”.

You don’t need to do it on this thread, just a new thread. You have me exclusively on this one.

Best wishes.

FES