How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 18619
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I couldn`t take my deposit back from my old land lord. I

This answer was rated:

Hi! I couldn`t take my deposit back from my old land lord. I left my stuff at there during Corona when I was going to my country. They took a storage area price 250£ for this. Than when I turn back they asked 250£ more. I stored these stuff before and they take 270£. With this they try to take all my deposit. They have my 250£ right now and still try to take my deposit that is 475£
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Coventry
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I talked with the estate to take my stuff back and asked why my friends didn`t paid this amount I learnedshe store them to same place and tried to take all money from me
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yeah than she tried to take same amount from my friend as well. She tries to illustrate that we damaged her home to take the money but the damages were there before we use the house and they didn`t take the others deposit for this. She is illustrating that we did damege to take the money

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request a refund of your deposit within 14 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 14 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.

If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi thank you for your helps I am going to do it by my self can you cancel my membership please
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi I don`t want phone call I made it by mistake I want to cancel my membership
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi I am a student and I can`t afford this money I made this request by mistake could you turn my money back please
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
cancel my membership
Customer: replied 4 days ago.

You can email customer service to cancel.