MarianC
MarianC, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
109551472

Please can you let me know my rights if someone is holding

Customer Question

Hi. Please can you let me know my rights if someone is holding onto my post and what evidence I need
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Essex
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: So I am currently living at my brothers because my dad remarried and the woman he is with held onto my nans post (who used to reside at the address) we argued about it and I got kicked out, I’m currently living in the same area but at my brothers house. They have said I haven’t had any post since March, but I know this is not true because my car, my car insurance; my phone, my 5 pensions are all registered to that address. I am going through an insurance claim at the moment and I have informed my dad that there will be post and he has said it’s not his problem I haven’t taken any action
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you
Expert:  MarianC replied 10 days ago.

Good afternoon, I am sorry to hear of your situation. It is a criminal offence to interfere with someone else's post. However, it is not possible to say whether the post is being thrown away or sent back as 'returned to sender'.

If you can afford to you should get a mail redirection for your post from your father's house to a safe address.

It should also be possible to login online to your car insurance, phone and pension accounts and update your change of address that way.

Marian

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
it’s just frustrating that she gets away with holding onto post that doesn’t belong to her. She did it to my NaN when I was living there and claimed to have redirected it, and she hadn’t. I have tried to redirect my post but annoyingly she changed the name of the house which complicated the redirection process.
Expert:  MarianC replied 10 days ago.

Oh that's awful to do that to your Nan too. Have you managed to sort the redirection now?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
she isn’t a nice woman at all.
She has done this to me before - she held onto my post for 2 years then she gave me a sack of post when I demanded it off her. She just held onto it for such a long time. She is a bully and has unfortunately turned my dad on us so I feel as though I am fighting a loosing battle
I remembered I tried to redirect my post before but they couldn’t do it because I had updated my bank address and if your card is not registered to the address then they cannot arrange a re-direction.
I really despise this woman and I’m angry that I didn’t update all the addresses on my other policies
She must have so much mail that doesn’t belong to her. Is there nothing I can do?
Expert:  MarianC replied 10 days ago.

Perhaps if you contact the post office and explain the situation they maybe able to help, but I think they will say the same as me, that you urgently need to contact all your providers and tell them not to use that address, perhaps you could get a Post Office box so it would stay the same if you had to move again?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Expert:  MarianC replied 10 days ago.

Thank you, ***** *****