james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I am in a dificulty with a student accomodation!

Customer Question

Hello, I am in a dificulty with a student accomodation!
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Northampton
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I am unable to continue my studies and I got in touch with the lady owner of the house and she told me as per contract, I have to pay the full year or find a student in my place. I am not happy here cannot even use the toilet properly as the wall is right in front of it.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  james bruce replied 5 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
I am very sorry to hear of your problem. Unfortunately, this is a problem all to often.

Because you signed a tenancy agreement, you are legally bound by that agreement, and sorry to say, just because you do not like where your are renting, that is not a reason for the agreement to end.

fortunately, you do have the option to find another person to replace you, so unfortunately that wipeouts be you only way out oft he agreement.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Does mistakes in the contract count? For example the termination day of payments is 2020 instead of 2021

When did the agreement start and want date is shown as it ending?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I have uploaded a picture.

Thank you for that additional information, that will be helpfull in allowing me to advise you today.

I see what you mean, unfortunately, I think a court would say that is a genuine typo error and that the party should look at the actual dates contained in the agreement term section.