How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Turner Your Own Question
Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1512
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ed Turner is online now

Do you provide legal aid? England for a self employment

Customer Question

Hello Do you provide legal aid?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England for a self employment contract dispute - a customer is refusing to pay
JA: What steps has the customer taken so far?
Customer: They have refused to pay claiming I have breached the contract
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It is a rural paper round contract for daily delivery of papers.
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 5 days ago.

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 5 days ago.

I note your concerns that you lack the finances to instruct solicitors at your own cost.

Unfortunately, I believe that you will struggle to find a solicitor who will act for you on a pro bono basis for this action. Generally, lawyers only offer their services pro bono in matters of public interest, life-or-death and personal liberty where the client does not have the financial resources to bring or defend an action themselves.

I think that you will also struggle to find a charity or other professional body who will be prepared to fund your case.

In addition, state-funded Legal Aid is now only available in a very limited number of types of cases, and this is not one of them.

Therefore, if you cannot finance your claim yourself and do not have business insurance, you should look to instruct solicitors on an “ad hoc” basis to review your correspondence and documents in full and advise you on your prospects of success before embarking on the litigation.

You may be able to find a law firm who is prepared to take on your case on a Contingency Fee, Conditional Fee Agreement or Damages Based Agreement basis whereby you will not pay their costs unless they win your case for you and either the other party pay their costs, or they take a percentage of your damages settlement or court award. However, you must search for and approach the law firm yourself in this regard.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 5 days ago.

You have a claim in breach of contract against the customer for non-payment of your fees. You should send a letter of claim to them. There are plenty of free templates online and the consumer protection advice magazine/website “Which?” has a useful template which you can adapt to your claim:

If they do not reply with their reasons for disputing the claim within 21 days, you should issue court proceedings via the Government’s Small Claims Track Online System if damages are less than £10,000:

A party cannot normally recover solicitors’ costs on the Small Claims Track. However, it is designed for non-lawyers (known as “Litigants In Person”). The trials are relatively informal, and the judges do not expect parties to have the same legal knowledge as experienced solicitors and barristers.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 5 days ago.

I hope this resolves your enquiry. Please revert to me if you require any clarification of my answer to your question and I shall be delighted to assist.

Otherwise, I shall be grateful if you will please mark your enquiry as “Closed” and give me a “Positive” rating to conclude this matter.

Kind regards