12826847

I have just stopped working under a self employed contract

Customer Question

I have just stopped working under a self employed contract where I was contracted to deliver papers daily early each morning to a designated paper round. I did this for 4 months and I was told by a saff member that I could leave before by 28 day resignation period was up if a trained up a new driver to take over the round permanently from me. I trained up the driver over 3 days and I got a whatsapp message from the depo co-ordinator stating that I would only need to come back if the driver dropped out. The day after I left half my round was allocated to me when there was need as the trained driver who was performing better than me had shown up for work and he was completing the round. The management team refused to initially allocate the remainder of the round to him but later after they had deleted me off the group app allocated the part of the round that was allocated to me over to him to complete. The new driver confirmed to me that he had completed the round! The manager told the depo supervisor that I would not receive my outstanding 6 weeks pay as I had left withour permission?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Contractor
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It is standard practice for new drivers to be trained up by the old driver for any round and then for the old driver to be released so customers do not have a break in service.
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 7 days ago.

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.