How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2394
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

My son has a disability that was diagnosed by a psychiatrist

Customer Question

My son has a disability that was diagnosed by a psychiatrist He is in his final year of A levels, and his school being a private school is not working toward finding him an accommodation for the year
JA: Where is your son? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London school is in London he is a UK resident
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: We have discussed with the disability coordinator on 4 occasions with no feedback form them he continues to have absences due to his illness, and he is repeatedly marked lower and lower with harsh emails coming home concerning his absence He recently got his report card with 2 failures We have also provided them with the Dr's information, but no clarity on their part has been provided
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The school is almost 30K per year private school in Hampstead and is part of the Dukes Education system
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 12 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Sorry to hear of ten problem you say your son is having.

Can you expand on exactly what the issue is you seek advice on.

Expert:  james bruce replied 11 days ago.

Unfortunately, without the additional information requested in my first/previous response, I will not be able to give you detailed advice to your question, but I will be able to give you a general answer, which I hope will be of assistance. If you are able to supply the additional information later, please do so and I will then come back to you with a more detailed answer.

You do not say what the disability is the your son has been diagnosed with.

The school would have a legal duty not to discriminate, and should make where possible reasonable adjustments for your son. However, sometimes it may not just be possible to make some changes. That would not be discrimination, but unfortunately just a reality.

They should not be making harsh comments on his absence if it is unavoidable because of medical reasons.

As for grades, and marks on work. Normally extra time and other allowances would and should be made for students with difficulties, but obviously that does not mean lowering marking grades so as to give a student a higher mark because of any difficulties or disabilities they may have. That in itself would be discriminatory to do so.

If you feel you are being ignored, then I would suggest writing or calling the head of school and asking to arrange a face to face meeting to address your concerns.