Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

A big company owes me£450 they sent the letter on july 4th

a big company owes me£450 they sent the letter on july 4th and said i would get the money in 60 days eveytime i phone i get told the chegue is ost last one is there is a back log i am a pensior disabled and this money would help me an awful lot
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: culbokie near inverness
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: phoned them 4/5 times threated them by saying i was going to do this but still nothing
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: how can i get my money

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Hi there. I am sorry to learn of the difficulty you have been having with this. What are you owed the money for and when did you last contact them to request they pay you back?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
they said they looked back the records 2012 and it showed i am owe 452.91 in 60 days that was july 4th i keeping getting fobbed off the last one was they have too many cheques to write also they cannot find it
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
i am going to phone them now and tell them i have spoken to you and hopefully that might do it if not i will come back to you

OK thank, can I just check what are you owed this money for?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
i cannot afford it sorry

Don’t worry about the pop-up mentioning a phone call – this is an automatic offer made by the system giving you the opportunity to pay extra to discuss things over the phone. However it is entirely optional, so if you just provide the information requested we can continue in writing on here at no extra cost.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation. If money is owed by one party to another, the debtor can potentially be taken to court to try and force them to pay up. However, as legal action should only be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without the need to involve the courts. It is therefore recommended that the following steps are taken in order to try and resolve this:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time – 14 days is reasonable. They should be advised that if they fail to make contact to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the money that is owed. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this without the need for legal action. There are numerous templates available online for such letters and a simple search will bring up a list of useful results.

3. If the letter before action is also ignored, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/taking-action/simple-procedure/simple-procedure---making-a-claim. The debtor will eventually get a copy of the claim and they will have a limited time to answer it. They could accept it and pay what is owed, they could accept it only in part and defend the rest, or they could outright reject it. They could also completely ignore it, in which case judgment will eventually be entered automatically against them. Also, it is worth noting that the simple act of submitting a claim could show the debtor that this is being taken seriously and prompt them to consider negotiating a potential solution to stop the claim progressing further, such as offering full or partial repayment.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
the letter says you are entitled to a refund of default sum and interest i am on the phone to them telling them they have said the cheque has been printed and should have it by next week he gave me the number of the chegue and i told him i was in touch with you if that money does not arrive by next friday we will see them in court i think they will do it it i think i have frightened them as i told them your name so a big thank you from a 70 year old disabled person
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
you have been great i would recommend you to anyone who need a solicitor

You are most welcome and glad to hear you are nearing a resolution to this. If you have any further questions about this then please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be glad to help. All the best

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
i got the cheque saturday morning after threading them with you and the the court thank you xx

Great news and thanks for the update