How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 27722
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

I am owed a refund of overpayment of £1,900 from Together

This answer was rated:

I am owed a refund of overpayment of £1,900 from Together Energy. We changed from them to a new supplier in May. I am in constant communication with Together Energy about twice a week on the phone. They just keeping making promises but nother ever happens.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: constant phone calls to them
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years experience.

I am very sorry to read of the above. May I confirm how you made payment to them originally please - eg. direct debit, debit card?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi Joshua, yes we paid monthly by direct debit at £300 a month.

Many thanks. There a number of approaches you can use to deal with this. One of which from what you say you have already tried, namely requesting the amount to be refunded to your account. You may consider reminding them that under paragraph 27 of the Gas Supply Licence and Electricity Supply Licence granted to them by Ofgem, they must refund credits to customers in a timely fashion. You may also wish (if you haven't already done so) framing your communications to the supplier as a formal complaint (more on this below).

The second approach you can take is contacting your bank and asking to make a direct debit guarantee claim on the basis that the company has overcharged you via direct debit. This can be an effective and quick way to claim monies back though whether a claim will be possible will depend upon whether the DDs were properly charged at the time in accordance with the account terms and conditions. The bank will ask for information, including a copy of your last bill and a copy of an email requesting the amount to be refunded. It may also ask to see a copy of account terms for the supply contract. If successful this can be a highly effective and swift means to claim back funds.

The third and final approach involves escalating the matter to the Energy Ombudsman. You first need to raise a formal complaint (hence referred to above) and you cannot escalate your complaint until the earlier of their final reply to your formal complaint or 8 weeks. You can then ask the Ombudsman to make a decision as regards ***** ***** and order damages is paid to you for lost interest and failure in prompt action being taken by the energy company.

Joshua and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Sorry for the delay. Many thanks for your help.