How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 78698
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

4 years ago I got convicted of indicent images. It was a

This answer was rated:

Hi, 4 years ago I got convicted of indicent images. It was a stupid one off mistake and over the last 4 years I've jumped through every hoop necessary. I've since met someone who has a 7yo son. We went to the police and spoke to the offender manager team who were very supportive of our relationship but had to tell social services. The woman from social services has been very, very hard to deal with and is trying her best to make sure we are not together. We've been put under so much pressure that we have decided not to be together. We are still waiting for the social services assessment which is over due. The woman wants to tell the child's father about my conviction as he has parental responsibility. This would be massively disruptive to mine and recently ex partners lives. So, to my question. Can social services legally go to the child's father and tell him of my conviction even though we are no longer together and I am not part of the child's life.? Seems to me it will achieve nothing other than upset but she's determined to do it.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Perfect thanks

Thanksfor the information

The problem with this is that social servicesare a complete nightmare. Most other helping agencies try to rehabilitate offendersso that they can lead a normal life but social services have a differentagenda. Mostly at amounts to protecting themselves in my opinion but there wego .

The problem with this is that they will seethis as a red flag. There is nothing you can do about that. You can probablysee why they would see that.

As to the issue of telling the child's father,they are right. They have an obligation . If he has parental responsibility thenhe has to be told. The fact that you are no longer around maybe a preventativebut I would imagine they're saying that they don't believe that.

All you can do about that is try to negotiatewith them though.

I suppose in legal theory the breaching ofconfidence would amount to something that gave rise to human rights issues andso in principle you could judicially review a decision of social services butyou really don't want to go there. It is a very expensive action with a veryhigh test.

I am sorry but I'm afraid it is only reallytime that cures this.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a waythat is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will bemore than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once againfor using our services.


Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks for your response, very insightful, I agree with your points and yes we have only broke up because of the pressure this has caused and the way the social worker has made this impossible. Is there any legal reason we could not be n together in the future? Seems to me this situation must arise regularly? Does our future lay in the hands of a bitter social worker? Regards.

No, not at all.

In fact, you should probably be together since this is likely to happen anyway.

Jo C. and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am glad I was able to help. Have a great day.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi, the social worker has now spoke to the child's father, who's response was, "talk to my mum about it". His mum is a barrister. The social worker told his mum to ask Connor questions to make sure he's not being abused. My question is, is this even legal since the fathers mother has no parental responsibility? Also there is absolutely no concern for the child's well being from the police, so why is his grandmother being asked to ask him questions? This at the very least seems odd. Thanks for any help you can give.

I am really sorry but they are free to do this. They are investigating a child welfare concern.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!”