How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Madhu Pal Your Own Question
Madhu Pal
Madhu Pal,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 468
Experience:  Solicitor at HPLP Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
Madhu Pal is online now

How do I stand legally if my partner dies and he is married

This answer was rated:

Hi there
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: How do I stand legally if my partner dies and he is married to someone else but leaves the house to me in his will
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Uk
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: None at the moment just looking now
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What is the legal process that I will have to go through if this situation happensHow do I find out if a Venezuelan marriage is legally binding under UK law.Should my partners estate be left to me would I be left with his debt

Good afternoon, is the property in his sole name? How long ago did him and his ex wife separate?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
they have been seperated for 30 years
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi there, I keep receiving pop ups! I would prefer to stay texting please

That is fine, you can ignore the pop ups they are automated

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
are you there Madhu

Please bear with me while i write out your response.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I see, sorry I didn't realize until now the pop up is attached

As the property is in his sole name, and has been left to you under his Will, there should be no issues legally for it to come to you.

Marriages abroad are generally recognised in the UK, but as they had been separated for 30 years she would find it very difficult to dispute the Will or even claim any legal rights over his property. Particularly because your partner was the sole legal owner.

I hope this answer was helpful?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
If she is now in this country and he is wishing to leave her their wedding paintings, could she contest the Will on those grounds?

Not really, what is there to contest? He has stipulated what he wants to leave to who in his Will, so she would need to have very valid grounds for disputing the Will

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
If the property is left to me and everything else, except the paintings, could I be the Executor?

Yes, you should make an application for Grant of Probate

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
could you give me further information on what Grant of Probate is, please?

This application, once granted, will allow you to deal with the estate of the deceased. As long as you have the death certificate and Will. The application costs £215, and you can apply yourself or instruct a solicitor to assist you if you prefer. I enclose a link to the Govenment website which should be of assistance

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
that's great! thank you Madhu for your assistance, I shall come back to you with any further questions. have a good day

No problem, if you could accept and leave me a rating with the 5 stars i will appreciate it. Many thanks

Madhu Pal and other Law Specialists are ready to help you