How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2082
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

Jo, i have let a friend £8000.00 and paid £3410 but there is

This answer was rated:

Hi Jo ,
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: i have let a friend £8000.00 and paid £3410 but there is a balance remains of £450.00 . it has been very disfuct to get my money ... so many scuses and promises but i am so fed up now. can you help .
JA: What steps has the friend taken so far?
Customer: I have her email address and tel but not her address .. she works as a community nurse .
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have tried my best to be patient . so i need your help and advise now .


Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays but rest assured that I will respond within 24 hours.

For the avoidance of doubt please can you confirm the outstanding amount owed at the moment?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
N.B the outstanding amount is £4590.00 not 450.00 . sorry it was typo error.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I have offered her payment plan weekly, every 2 weeks monthly ... no joy ... lame scouse and endless phone calls
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
File attached (1Z5PSL6)
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
please find the history of payment . i have a bank statement to support my case too.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
i live in London UK.


Thanks for the clarification.

I suggest you consider approaching a tracing agency run by ex-Police called - they have a high success rate and should be able to track the debtor's address.

Once you obtain the information i suggest you send a letter before action. The letter before action should outline why you are owed the amount in question and demand payment within 14 days, failing which court action will follow.

I have attached a template copy for your consideration.

Please send the letter via email and post when you get the address.

Hopefully the letter will compel a response from the debtor very quickly.

Assuming the debtor does not respond to the letter or a resolution is no met within 14 days from the date of the letter I suggest you consider commencing court proceedings using the link

A user guide for the link to assist you with the court procedure is noted below:

If you win then once you have the CCJ from the court the defendant has 14 days to pay in full. If they do not then it gets registered with the credit agencies after 30 days. You can also enforce the CCJ with the county court bailiffs or transfer the debt to the High Court for a small additional fee given the total amount owed is at least £600 and you can use the high court enforcement officers who have greater powers than county court bailiffs. The transfer fee is added on to the debt and payable by the defendant.

I hope i have clarified the position, if not please let me know.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you Anthony

Your welcome and have a good weekend.

Anthony Chendo and 5 other Law Specialists are ready to help you