How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1908
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

I am trying to help my ex girlfriend and her son. Basically

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am trying to help my ex girlfriend and her son. Basically her ex husband threw her son out and he went to his sister on a temporary basis. His mother tried to get on the council list in Banbury and was rejected. She has appealed but still waiting. Her daughter is overcrowded and dew to have a second child in 6 weeks. Can my ex girlfriend and her son be put into temporary emergency accommodation/refuge or similar as a short term help for now?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: She has been apart from her husband for a few years but not divorced yet. The son lived with his father because the mother is originally from Thailand and he thought that she was going to take him away. She has indefinite leave to remain here and has been here for about 10 years. She has no intention of taking her son away, This has all happened over the last month or so and she is confused as to where to go and what to do. I am trying to advise her the best I can but we are struggling
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: She lives in London but she wants to live in Banbury to be near her daughter and grandchildren as well. The council rejected her housing application because her daughter could not provide written conformation of being reident in Banbury for 5 years or more.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What can she do about legaly getting help from her sons father?
Hi, thank you for your message. Welcome to just answer. My name is***** and I am very sorry to hear about your situation. I hope my answer can help you today. Can I confirm where are they staying now?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The mother is staying in London and the son is staying with his sister in Banbury for now. The mother tries to commute but the sister is about to give birth to her second child in the next 5 or 6 weeks and needs the room ready for the new baby and has given two weeks notice to her brother and mother who both understand her position and how helpful her and her partner have been.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I am out of work and surviving on universal credit so can't afford the phone call option. I am only trying this way to see how much I can help these people.

Hi, thank you for your message. Again I am very sorry to hear about your situation. I would advise that she contacts her local council to see if she is eligible for any financial help. She can find contact information for her local council here: Her local council may also be able to help her get cheaper accommodation if needed.

She can also use one of the following benefits calculators to determine what benefits she can get here:

1) (Turn2us)

2) (Entitledto)

3) (Policy in practice)

In terms of getting her home she should contact her embassy for guidance especially with the restrictions as a result of the corona virus. She can contact them using this link:

She will need to explain her circumstances and the may guide her accordingly.

Her local citizens advice bureau may also be able to guide her in regards ***** ***** financial needs. She can find her local citizens advice bureau here: (CAB). CAB’s are accessible in different areas in the country providing free legal advice to individuals who cannot afford this. You can contact them by phone to book a face to face appointment. They may also be able to provide phone appointments.

If her son is under 16 or between 16-20 and in full time education she is entitled to child maintenance. I would advise that she contacts the child maintenance services to make payment arrangements through them.

She can use the child maintenance calculator for an estimate of what you are entitled to here:

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best in dealing with this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have further questions regarding this matter. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. Best wishes.

Joy Nicholas and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you very much for your help.

Hi, thank you for your message. I am glad I was able to help. Have a great day.