How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 78705
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am looking to get some legal advice regarding an incident

This answer was rated:

I am looking to get some legal advice regarding an incident that my son was involved with last week. He was hit over the head with a baseball bat and a fight broke out. We haven't
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Worcester
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: No steps as yet we haven't heard from the police until today. They dropped him off at home after the invident and advised us to take him to A & E which we did. They said they would be back to take a statement from him. We have spoken to the police and they said that arrests were made (as some of my sons friends defended him and were arrested) and an investigation is being made.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We have photo evidence of the injury and video that was taken prior to the attack which shows the man threatening the group before he hits him.

Hi, this is Jim, thank you for the question - I will resolve this for you.

Sorry to hear of the issue. As your Son is a victim of violence, he can claim damages though the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) which is a governmental body set up to compensate people in these situations. The requirement to claim is that the Police must have been involved and that is fine in your case. You can now make a claim to the CICA. If your Son has any previous convictions these will be taken in to account if and when the CICA make an award. Your Son can claim to the CICA here:

It is easy to pursue this yourself and whilst law firms can do this for you, they would take 25% of any compensation awarded. If you disagree with the CICA's decision or the award itself, you can appeal it at a later date.

I hope this helps and answers the question - please feel free to ask me anything else.

Have a good day,

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for your reply. Does this type of case usually go to court? Will the Police us if we want to press charges? Can you tell me the process?

Hi, I am not sure about the criminal process, sorry I though the query was about compensation of some sort due to the injury - I will need to opt out to let a criminal lawyer take over from me as this is outside may area of expertise.
Another expert will be along shortly, thanks.

My name is ***** ***** I am a criminal law barrister -

what do you need to know about this matter please

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What are rights are basically? My son is under 18 so will this change the way the case is handled ?
Will the police ask if we want to press charges and what would this entail ?

Thanksfor the information

Obviously I cannot say what the police view ofthis would be. On the face of it, they do seem to think that his supporterswere the aggressors.

If he wasn't arrested though then they areprobably treating him as the victim. If so, he needs to make a statement butwhether he wants to press charges as a non issue. We don't press charges in theUK. We either report things to the police or we don't thoughts start oncethings are reported it is not a matter for the witness whether they areprosecuted. It is a decision for the police an CPS

Him being under 18 wouldn't really change verymuch .

I'm not sure what you mean by his rights. Hehas the same rights as everybody else but obviously there specific so if youask a more specific question I might be able to offer more on that point

Can I clarify anything for you?

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a waythat is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will bemore than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once againfor using our services.


Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 78705
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am glad I was able to help. Have a great day.