Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

There have been a spate of burglaries in the local area and

there have been a spate of burglaries in the local area and I am looking at installing an electric fence within my boundary, one of my boundary lines is parallel with a pavement to the road, the fence will not be touchable from the pavement. my query is do I need to display signage as the regulations are a tad grey
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England, UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: currently I have just purchased the equipment to be installed, but want to ensure I am compliant on any requirements for signage.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of

Hi thank you for your message, I understand this is an important issue to you and therefore will look to resolve this quickly. Please note that you must have warning signs on the electric fence. This is so for a number of reasons, firstly, under the Occupiers Liability Act 1984 you owe a duty of care to strangers who enter or come on your land including those there illegally such as burglars where there is a risk you know of that you might be expected to provide some protection against as in the link here: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/3

Furthermore, the HSE believe you should have warning signs no more than 10 metres apart on the fence: https://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/internalops/oms/04.htm

Therefore you should have warning signs up.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi thanks for the above, the fence is actually a wooden fence solid to 2m high, and the electric part will be an electric tape as used to keep livestock in, clipped to the inside edge of the fence (my side of the fence not public facing). as such would it still warrant signage on the exterior aspect of the fence even though the electric part is internal to my garden?

Hi thank you for your message, the HSE guidance indicates "They should face to the outside and where access may be gained from the inside on that side also. The mounting heights above ground level should be at 1.5 m whilst if there may be children present there should be a repeater sign at 0.8 m". In these circumstances therefore, my view would be that the warning signs should still be visible from the outside given the hidden risk that if someone was to attempt to mount the fence they would of course be breaking the law but as indicated above you would still owe them a duty of care.