How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2309
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

My house is in a close which is next to an industrial

This answer was rated:

Hi, my house is in a close which is next to an industrial estate. It used to be fine because there were mature trees blocking the view of the units on the other side of the fence (approx. 8-10ft away). Now, however, the trees (30ft hedge with trees) has been cut down by the landowner and it looks terrible, also the noise of the industrial units is worse. It's like living on an industrial estate. The houses have been here since the 70's - before the industrial estate. Can anything be done to have the landowner replace the trees?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: North Dorset
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is it possible to claim / sue the landowner for reduction in property value? I was about to put my house on the market.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Sorry to hear of the view you now have.

Unfortunately, if the trees and hedge where on his land and were not protected, then the owner is allowed to remove them if they so wish.

You would not be able to make a claim against them for any devalue to your property, as they have no right to your property and would not be legally responsible to you for your property.

Of course, there is nothing to stop you planting your own hedge or trees at the edge of your boundary to block out the view and to protect the value of your property.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi James,
Many thanks for your response. I understand. Do you think maybe there might have been a clause in the planning permission for the industrial units that would say trees must be planted? A TPO council order? Anything like that? I can’t believe it’s ok to build industrial units so close to a residential area without something blocking the view and sound?

It is possible that may be the case, but not guaranteed.

You can certainly enquire with your local planning office at the council. They would be able to confirm this one way or the other.

james bruce and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Hello, I am just following up on your enquiry to see if I can assist further. Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.