How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2077
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

I have a television which I bought 10 months ago and is now

This answer was rated:

I have a television which I bought 10 months ago and is now faulty. I took it for repair and have been told that the faulty part is not covered by the manufacture's gaurantee
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: Wales in Pembrokeshire, it's an LG television and I paid £380 for it new
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: It is still in repair, and I got a text message from the repairs this morning.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That about says it all I think


Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays but rest assured that I will respond within 24 hours.

Where you informed on the cause of the damaged part in question?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
No, the quote was "Unfortunaley, the damage/fault isn't covered under the manufacturer's warranty", maybe insinuating that the television was struck by something, when in fact, I was sitting in front of it reading when the picture went off - no noise, nothing.


Thanks for the further information.

The Consumers Rights Act 2015 states that where goods sold are not of satisfactory quality then the buyer can exercise a number of remedies available under this law to ensure the buyer is not left out of pocket. Some of the remedies available are a refund, price reduction and repairs to the faulty product at no costs to the buyer.

In view of this if you can prove that the damage to the tv was not due to your usage and the TV sold to you was defective then you have good grounds to exercise one of the remedies under the law.

Therefore I suggest you get the TV inspected by a TV specialist/repairer and ask the expert to confirm why the TV is faulty and if the fault was something the seller ought to have known about. Hopefully the expert report supports your position. If so I suggest you send the report along with a letter to the seller outlining your rights under the Consumers Rights Act 2015. In the event the seller does not accept the remedy you have asked for I suggest you consider reporting the matter to the trading standards as they can assit you.

Alternatively you can consider court action. However before you embark on this route please return to JA as we can advice you on the court process.

I hope I have clarified the position, if not please let me know.

Thanks and stay safe.

Anthony Chendo and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you