Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

Will I be able to sue Trustpilot for putting my business up

Will I be able to sue Trustpilot for putting my business up on their website for reviews without my consent? Can I also sue for loss of income due to the bad reviews ?

Hello I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

You will also receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically generated by the website. I would be happy to facilitate a phone call with you however, do note that there will be a premium service charge should you accept this, you of course, do not have to click the phone call option.

I would be greatly appreciative if you could use the 5 stars to rate my advice once I have provided it you.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok, sure.

Thank you for your query. So there are two parts to this enquiry and I will deal with them both for you. The answer to the fist part of your question is no, you cannot take legal action against trust pilot, it has been well established that there are no laws against services for providing reviews about other businesses. Therefore trust pilot have the right to do this. However, you can make a complaint against them just not legal action....You cannot specifically sue for loss of income due to bad review as you would find it difficult to definitively prove a direct correlation between the poor reviews and the loss of business. The only option which may potentially be available would be if someone is being deliberately defamatory then there is the possibility to raise action for defamation however, this type of case is presented with more malice than a bad review on a rating site such as trust pilot. Sadly, there is no direct action you can take against the website for hosting reviews I am afraid to say. If someone was purposely stating false accusations about your business to damage it then, if you could prove it you could look at defamation however, I have to be hones that this is rarely the case in my experience. In order to prove defamation of character there are two “barriers” which you have to prove. Firstly, you have to show that there has been a publicised statement which is to your detriment. You have to be able to show that it is not true. So just for an example, if you have been convicted of a crime, and maintain your innocence, and someone publicises this on social media you wouldn’t have a case as you have been found guilty by law. You have to be able to show that the statement is untrue. Secondly you have to be able to show that you have suffered, or are likely to suffer a detriment due to the false information which has been shared about you. If you can do both of these things then you will be successful in your case for defamation.

I hope this information has helped, although I appreciate it is not what you will be wanting to hear. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. I won’t be recognised for my response by the website if there is no rating left for me.

Many Thanks

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you. just to clarify, TP can legally put my business on their website open for reviews without my consent? And this legally established?

Yes, there are always cases about restaurants trying to sue the Michelin guide for giving them unwanted stars etc. but they are not successful. It basically boils down to the equivalent of free speech.