james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

The housing association does not allow us to install a cctv

Hi the housing association does not allow us to install a cctv to protect ourselves against an illegal tennant in Clarion housing . The neighbour in question has been verbally saying racial abuse and disability crime towards my nephew and our family . Now they are accusing us of breaking their laws please help
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London morden
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I need a solicitor human right/housing to sue Clarion housing. The story briefly is my sister is the tenant. Next door is illegal lodger he has been cautioned in March 3 times arrested one restraining order issued as result of one court. 3 cases pending with CPS two are racial aggravated public order and one for breaking restraining order. Now we have requested permission to put cctv they are refusing
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I forgot to mention our car was vandalised twice during this harassment which is still on going

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.

If a cctv camera was installed, what and where exactly would fit be filming?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
It would be the front door and shared coummunal area of housing association property and our disabled bay spot which is not part of property and its tfl red route and part of the road but focus is the disabled bay where the car is.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
We are not happy with housing i even complained to ceo of housing the whole organisation is shambolic and the tenancy team is lying about our reports to them

The problem that appears to be here regarding the cctv is that not only will it cover your area, but also a neighbours ares, a communal area and further still a public area on the road.

If the camera only filmed you property then there could be more of an argument to be made, but because it films communal and public, that is a problem.

Any camera that films such areas have struck rules about there use, and records that must be kept of what ever they record. So in theory, every person that went passed on the road could make a request to know and see what was captured on the camera, this is because of human rights law and date protection laws.Therefore, it is easier for the housing to refuse a camera.

You may be able to consider a camera inside of your property (inside window) or a camera bell on your door. They are very discreet. If you looked at that option, again the same rules would apply, but if they are inside then the regulations and reporting would fall on you to keep in order and you would be legally liable for any recording.