How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2363
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I had a cardiac event whilst working from home a few months

This answer was rated:

Hi, I had a cardiac event whilst working from home a few months ago. I would like to ask for voluntary redundancy or compensation after 12 years of working there. Can this be done? I intend to hand in my notice.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Sorry. England. East Midlands
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None. I'm still on sick leave and receiving SSP.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks Pearl.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
I hope you have or are recovering from your medical matter.

There is nothing to stop you approaching your employer to enquire if they are looking at possible redundancies and if so whether you could apply for voluntary redundancy.

Redundancy happens when a job position is no longer available. It is the position that is no longer, not the ability of the employee to carry out the work.

From what you have explained, the employer is under no obligation to pay you any compensation because you have been working there 12 years. I am sorry to say but it is unfortunate that you fell ill whist at home, but the employer would not be liable for that.

If the employer is only paying SSP, is it unlikely they would be flexible on other forms of payment.

james bruce and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Lovely to meet you Bruce, Thank you for your quick response especially on a Saturday.
I was afraid of that. To clarify (because I now trust you) I have been working the Night shift for 17 years with the same company. I was on an actual customer call when my heart attack happened.Secondly, I have no wish to return to work whatsoever. Can I simply hand in my notice at the end of my sick leave. I will not need them for references etc.Thanks.

Certainly, as an employee, you are able to submit your notice at any time.

With the length of service you have, it may well be worth speaking to HR at work to see if you do tender your notice, and bearing in mind your health, would they allow you to be paid by the. In lieu of notice, so you do not return to work, safeguarding you and them.

This would mean they pay you in full for your notice period that would most likely be 3 months but you donot return to work.

That may be a good solution for you.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you. My last question, should I simply wait for HR to come to me directly?

If they are not planning on doing anything, then they may not approach you, so you could make the first move.