Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

I had a claim pending a attending court, I have been trying

I had a claim pending a attending court, I have been trying to get information regarding what was happening in regard to attending court under the present circumstances as I have Liver cancer the last thing I need is to catch Covid! emails, automatic response! telephone nobody answered on any of the numbers given, drove me mad trying to get hold of anybody to find out what was going on. A few days a go I received a letter from the court stating that as i had not paid the court £355.00 the case has been closed and the defendant can now take me to court. Its most unfair I was desperate for answers and yes I forgot to pay the fee whilst all the pandemonium was going on. I had ever intention of carrying on with my claim I had paid the Initial £!85? on line it purely lack of getting answers to my dilemma the court hearing fee got missed! My question is can I reopen my claim? I have already sent emails and letters off to the court but have heard nothing back. Can you please give my some idea of what to do under these circumstances. Thank you Peter
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: sussex
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Well non I have no idea what to do
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
mobile phone does not work where I live!

Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays but rest assured that I will respond within hours 24 hours.

When was the court fee payment deadline due?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
4pm on the 22 sept 2020
hearing was due on the the 20th of Oct
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
mobiles do now work where I live
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
not

Thanks for the further information.

Please bear with me whilst I type a response.

You will need to make an application to the court using form n244.

Within the application you will need to explain why you have failed to pay the fee and the effects this claim will have on you if it remains struck out.

Once you have completed the application you will need to send a copy to the court and the opponent.

The court will then consider your application and either make a decision on paper or list the matter for a hearing to consider the application before a judge.

If your application is successful the claim will be reinstated.

Please see below a link to obtain form n244 and its guidance notes:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n244-application-notice

My advice will be to get a lawyer to draft this application and or review the application before its sent because if the application is dismissed it effectively puts an end to your claim.

I hope I have clarified the position if not please let me know.

Thanks and stay safe.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank very much for your help, I must owe you more than the £5 fee how do I pay you your fee?

You can leave a tip if you give a positive rating buts that's at your discretion. That said I take pleasure in assisting people with these sort of queries.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend.