james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

My dad passed away without a will and my step mother has

My dad passed away without a will and my step mother has since passed and we have been told nothing has been left in her will for my dads children. Is there any case to fight this?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: U.K.
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: We’ve done a will search but couldn’t find one but have been told she left a will
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

If your step mother did not leave anything in her will for you, that would I am sorry to say be her choice. There is no automatic right to inherit in a will.
However, depending on the size and value of the estate when your father died, then you may have been entitled to inherit from his estate through the law of intestacy.

When a person dies with no will, they die intestate. There are strict rules that apply as to who will inherit.

If the estate, that is everything he owned was valued at more than £270k, then his wife

keeps all the assets (including property), up to £270,000, and all the personal possessions, whatever their value.

Anything over that value is divided 50% to the spouse and the other 50% to surviving children.

If the estate was valued less than £270k then the spouse would get everything.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
It was less than £270k but thank you for confirming what we thought

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.