12826847

Online dating scam and pushback charges from banks, England,

Online dating scam and pushback charges from banks
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: Reported to action fraud and banks
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am still being contacted by fraudsters
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I have already paid £5 trial

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

how can I help?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I spoke to your colleague on Thursday but wanted to ask about pushback bank charges if it was me authorising payments to fraud accounts

Sorry, what push back charges?

Experience: Over 5 years in practice

Im happy to call but can you just tell me what push back charges you mean so that we know whether I can help

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Bank push payment

What do you mean?

For what?

In what circumstance?

What has happened?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Apologies, it's called charge back. Online romance fraud

You will have to tell me more than that before I can tell you whether i can help.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I paid money as the victim of romance scam from dating website. Most of the cash was transferred from my account - I made the payments to accounts provided to me. I have reported the case to action fraud and my banks. I wanted to check my legal rights for asking my bank for charge back

That isn't really my area then.
I will opt out for others.

Hi thank you for your message, I appreciate this is important to you so I will endeavour to give you a quick but clear answer. Please note this is not a chat service so responses may not be instantaneous.

If you used your debit card to make the payments you can use the chargeback scheme but this does not apply to bank transfers. That said you can try and use this letter template to get the money back via the bank but again this only applies if you used your debit card to make the payment not bank transfers: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/letter/letter-to-make-a-chargeback-claim

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Ok, so none of bank transfers are eligible for charge back. I can only get the money back if the bank can get the money back from fraudulent bank accounts?

Hi thank you for your message, no I am afraid not. Yes if the bank or police can recover the money from the recipient accounts then yes you can get your money back that way but otherwise no. I am sorry I cannot give you better news. Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I think you answered my questions. Thank you
I’m glad I could help. Have a great day