How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 18619
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Can I file for bankruptcy for debts approx three thousand

This answer was rated:

Can I file for bankruptcy for debts approx three thousand pounds

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Sadly not. You need to owe more than £5,000 to become bankrupt.

However, you can get a debt relief order.

A Debt Relief Order (DRO) is a way of dealing with your debts if you can’t afford to pay them. It means you don’t have to pay certain kinds of debt for a specified period (usually 12 months).

At the end of the DRO period, the debts included in it will be written off (‘discharged’) and you won’t have to pay them.

You can only apply for a DRO through an ‘approved intermediary’. This is an authorised debt adviser, who will make the application on your behalf

To be eligible for a DRO, you must meet these criteria:

  • you owe £20,000 or less
  • you have less than £50 to spend each month, after paying tax, national insurance and normal household expenses
  • you’ve lived or worked in England or Wales in the last 3 years
  • your assets aren’t worth more than £1000 in total
  • you’ve not had a DRO in the last 6 years

Your debt adviser will help you complete the application and explain what information you must include. They will then send it to the official receiver.

You will have to tell the official receiver if, in the last 2 years, you have:

  • paid some creditors but not others
  • given away any of your assets or sold them for less than they were worth

These might lead to your application being refused.

The official receiver’s fee is £90. This must be paid at the time of the application and won’t be refunded once a decision has been made, even if you aren’t granted a DRO.

The fee must be paid in cash. Some people are able to get a charity to pay their fee – your debt adviser can tell you more about this.

You can find more information and a debt advisor at:

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Okay and thanks

My pleasure

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.

If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.