SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I am a landlord and I have installed a CCTV camera at the

I am a landlord and I have installed a CCTV camera at the corridor in my shared home. Is this legal?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No
JA: Where is the home located?
Customer: Portsmouth
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Good evening. Thank you for contacting Justanswer. I am a solicitor in England and Wales and happy to assist you. I am reviewing your question now for you.

Your property is a private dwelling and as such within the confines of your dwelling you are able to put up security measures that you deem necessary to protect your property. Protecting your property can be done by using a CCTV system where it is necessary, However, the Surveillance Camera Commissioner recommends that users of CCTV systems should operate them in a responsible way to respect the privacy of others. You have tenants in your property and as such the CCTV cannot be hidden, intrusive or set up in a way that the tenants no longer have their right to privacy. If it is in the hallway and areas where security would be highly exposed such as exterior of the property then this would be perfectly legal.

If you are concerned that you may have set it up to see other rooms that you are not sure if would breach the tenants' privacy then I would strongly recommend that you make enquiries with the SCC or the ICO perhaps as a hypothetical question to see if they would uphold a complaint if it was brought to them.

Your tenants if they had complaints about the use of domestic CCTV, would contact the ICO and as such you could contact them with your hypothetical question at***@******.*** or on 0303(###) ###-####

You may also check with the Surveillance Camera Commissioner (SCC) as their role is to encourage compliance, review operations and provide advice about the code that governs use of cctv in England and Wales. They are contactable at *****@******.***

I hope this is helpful. If I can clarify further please do not hesitate to send your follow up questions, I am happy to guide you. All the best

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

You are very welcome, glad I could help. All the best.