ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

I am a private landlord. I have installed a CCTV camera in

I am a private landlord. I have installed a CCTV camera in my shared home at the corridor in the house. Is this legal?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am a private landlord. I have installed a CCTV camera in my shared home at the corridor in the house which only shows the front door & the staircase. Is this legal?

This is Readylaw, welcome to Just Answer.

I have been a legal expert on the site for several years and my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. Your satisfaction is my top priority! Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an lawyer-client relationship and it is always in your best interest to retain legal counsel, if you have a current legal matter, that you need help with.

Please allow me a few moments to reply with my initial answer. I am here but need time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

I thank you for your patience and your enquiry.

Yes it is perfectly legally to install the camera in the location you have stated. It is clear that this is simply to guard against possible intruders.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

The only thing I would encourage you to do is to tell the persons in the shared home that the camera would be installed at the particular location and give you reasons for doing so. All the best

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
One more question. Before installing the camera to the corridor did I need to get consent from my tenants.

do you wish for us to speak for us to speak on the phone or was that in error?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No I don’t need the call

You are not required to have their consent but you are required to give them notice that you will be doing so.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Sorry I don’t need the call. Can you please cancel the call. & refund my £44

I have not accepted the call request, I will notify customer services that we have not spoken and they will process a refund for you.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you. I will wait for the refund

You are most welcome! All the best. I have notified customer services just now for you with respect to the phone call request being made in error.