How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2375
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I need to know about family law, for a civil case, England,

This answer was rated:

I need to know about family law, for a civil case
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England, derbyshire or Nottingham
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: My partner has been arrested, and after being held in custody a provisional DVPN (domestic violence protection notice) has been placed on him against me. He is due in magistrates court on Monday to decide if the DVPN goes ahead. This has been done without my consent.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am unsure if I qualify for support to ask questions as I am the alleged victim and not the alleged perpetrator

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

A DVPN can be imposed provisionally by the police and then goes to court where they will make an application for it to remain in place. The police do not require your consent to impose the order or to seek its extension.

You can attend court to show that you oppose the order if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have been told I am not allowed to attend magistrates court to attend the order by the police. How do I find out the time and place of the order, And how can I oppose the order. I have been told I cannot give a statement? Thank you so much for your response

If the court makes the full DVPO, then it can run for between 14-28 days.

The court may not hear from you if you go there, but the police cannot stop you attending the court.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay thank you. Is there a way I can request to be heard. The evidence being used against my partner includes pictures that a police officer has seen on my mobile phone. However I have not been able to give my story about what the pictures are from. Is there a way I can have my say.

If you attend the court and sit in the public area then you can let the court Clark know you are there and want the magistrates know that you object at police have not looked at all the evidence.

Hello, I am just following up on your enquiry to see if I can assist further. Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

james bruce and other Law Specialists are ready to help you