JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

In your opinion have I been scammed? I will send by email a

In your opinion have I been scammed? I will send by email a copy of the emails that I have received if that will help.

Hi, this is Jim, thank you for the question - I will resolve this for you.

Sorry to hear of the issue. I have checked and that trading company (Everycmarket) is not authorised according to the Financial Conduct Authority (the FCA).

Therefore I am almost certain this is a scam and they will refuse to let you withdraw any funds. I would certainly not recommend you pay them nearly £5,000 - you are unlikely to see that money again.

I note you have already paid them as you say you asked for your money. The first thing to do is to report this to the Police and to Action Fraud so that you can obtain a crime reference number. The Action Fraud website where you can report the crime is here: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Once you have done that then see if your bank or credit card company can do a charge-back on the monies as a lot of these trading companies are not legitimate outfits. If you paid with a credit card you may be able to make a claim against the card provider under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act. If you paid by debit card then your bank may be subscribed to the consumer voluntary code to refund you if you have been scammed. The bank can charge-back up to 120 days from the date you sent money or paid money to a scammer.

In future my advice is to check whether the trading company is FCA-regulated first of all to ensure they are legitimate. You can check here : https://register.fca.org.uk

The FCA website has a list of regulated companies so this would be worth checking. If you prefer to speak to the FCA then they can be reached on 0800(###) ###-####

If there is no record, I would urge caution and do not give them your personal details, nor any money. The reason being if they are unregulated, there is nothing the FCA can do and in all likelihood the company is based abroad so suing them would be difficult if you wanted your money back. Most of these companies also ask for the initial £250 up front and tempt you to add more funds only for them to become non-responsive when you ask to withdraw.

There are a few companies who can claim to retrieve monies taken by a scammer but in reality they are also scams - once a scammer has the money it would be very difficult to sue them (being based abroad) and even if you obtained a CCJ against them, enforcing it is another matter.

You can try any of these regulated law firms to see if they can recover the money for you:

They should be able to help you with a no win no fee agreement so that you do not have to pay anything up front to them. These are regulated law firms in the UK.

I hope this helps and answers the question - please feel free to ask me anything else.

Have a good day,
Jim

Hi, I’m just checking to see if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or address anything else for you.

Many thanks,
Jim

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
You have been very helpful and I will try one of the companies that you suggested on a no win no fee basis. Many thanks Brenda Shepherd